My Honest Smile LASIK Review In South Korea: What I Wish I Knew Before Surgery




Direct answer summary
Smile LASIK in South Korea was one of the best health decisions I have made, but it was not completely effortless. The procedure itself was quick and painless for me, my vision improved almost immediately, and I was back to normal daily activities within a few days. I did have temporary dryness and some night glare during the first few weeks, but these gradually settled.
If you are an overseas patient thinking about Smile LASIK in Korea, expect a very detailed pre‑operative eye exam, a surgery day that takes a few hours from arrival to discharge, and follow‑up visits over the next few months. Planning your trip, understanding the costs, and choosing an experienced clinic and surgeon are the most important steps.
My vision background and why I chose Smile LASIK
I had been nearsighted since middle school. By the time I finally decided on laser eye surgery, my prescription was around -5.50 in both eyes with mild astigmatism. I wore contact lenses almost every day for work and only used glasses at home. Over time, my eyes became more sensitive and dry, especially after long hours in front of a computer.
I had known about LASIK for years, but I always hesitated because of the idea of creating a corneal flap. When I started researching again, I discovered Smile LASIK, also called Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. The concept of a smaller incision, no large flap, and potentially less dry eye really appealed to me.

My main reasons for choosing Smile LASIK were:
- A very small incision instead of a large flap
- A reputation for faster, more comfortable recovery
- Lower risk of dry eye compared with traditional LASIK
- A minimally invasive approach that felt less scary to me
Why South Korea for Smile LASIK
South Korea is well known for advanced medical technology and high volumes of laser eye surgery. When I compared prices and technology between my home country and Korea, I realized that I could have treatment in Korea with modern equipment and still pay a competitive total cost, even including travel.
How I researched clinics and surgeons
I spent several weeks comparing clinics in South Korea. Since I was traveling from overseas, I focused on clinics that:
- Had many patient reviews in English and other languages
- Clearly explained which laser machines they used
- Showed before‑and‑after stories and detailed FAQs
- Offered online consultations or email support
- Provided transparent price ranges and what was included
I also checked:
Surgeon experience with Smile LASIK specifically, not just LASIK in general
Whether they performed a full pre‑operative screening to check if I was suitable
How they handled foreign patients, interpreters, and follow‑up scheduling
In the end, I chose a clinic that responded quickly to my emails, gave realistic expectations, and did not pressure me into booking.
Pre‑operative consultation and eye examination
My first full day in Korea was dedicated to the pre‑operative exam. This is not a quick, five‑minute visit. It took about two to three hours and included a long list of tests.
Here is what the initial exam involved:
- Basic vision test with and without my glasses
- Refraction test to measure my exact prescription
- Corneal thickness measurement to see if there was enough tissue for Smile LASIK
- Corneal topography and mapping to check the shape and regularity of my cornea
- Tear film and dry eye tests to assess my eye surface
- Pupil size measurement, especially important for night vision and halos
- Eye pressure measurement
- General eye health check, including retina and lens

The staff guided me from machine to machine. Some tests involved bright lights and puffs of air, but nothing was painful.
Discussion with the surgeon
After all the tests, I met the surgeon to review the results. We discussed:
- Whether my eyes were suitable for Smile LASIK
- Why Smile LASIK was recommended over traditional LASIK or LASEK in my case
- My corneal thickness and why that mattered
- My risk factors for dry eye
- Possible side effects such as halos, glare, and temporary fluctuations in vision
The surgeon explained the differences clearly:
Traditional LASIK: a flap is created, folded back, the laser reshapes the cornea, then the flap is replaced.
LASEK: surface treatment without a flap, but with a longer and more uncomfortable recovery.
Smile LASIK: a femtosecond laser creates a small lens‑shaped piece of tissue (lenticule) inside the cornea, then removes it through a tiny incision, without a large flap.
I liked that the surgeon did not promise perfect vision. Instead, I was told that most patients reach 20/20 or close, but there is always a chance of slight under‑ or over‑correction, temporary dryness, and night vision symptoms.
Costs and payment options
During the consultation, a coordinator went over the total cost. The price included:
- Pre‑operative exam
- Smile LASIK surgery for both eyes
- Post‑operative check‑ups for several months
- Initial eye drops and protective eye shields
Additional costs I had to consider were:
- Travel and accommodation
- Extra artificial tears if I needed more
- Any additional long‑term follow‑ups in my home country
Payment options usually included credit card and sometimes bank transfer. Because I was a foreign patient, I paid on the day of the pre‑operative exam once we confirmed I was a suitable candidate.

Day of surgery experience
My surgery was scheduled for the next day. I was asked to stop wearing contact lenses for a certain period before the exam and surgery, so my cornea could return to its natural shape. If you wear soft lenses, this is usually a few days; for hard lenses, it can be longer.
Arrival and preparation
On surgery day, I arrived about an hour before the scheduled time. The process went like this:
- Check‑in at the reception
- Brief repeat of some key measurements to confirm stability
- Review and sign consent forms
- Final conversation with the surgeon to answer any last questions
The staff then gave me a surgical gown, a hair cap, and shoe covers. They cleaned the area around my eyes and put in anesthetic eye drops. I did not receive general anesthesia; I was awake the whole time but completely numb in the eyes.
In the operating room
The operating room was cool and bright with the laser machine in the center. The whole procedure for both eyes took around 15 to 20 minutes, but the actual laser time felt much shorter.
Step by step, this is how it felt:
I lay down on the bed, and they positioned my head under the laser.
They placed a small device to keep my eyelids open. It felt strange but not painful.
More anesthetic drops were added.
For each eye, the femtosecond laser created the lenticule inside the cornea and a tiny side incision.
I was asked to focus on a light. During this part, I felt some pressure and saw bright lights, but no pain.
After the laser completed its part, the surgeon used delicate instruments to gently remove the lenticule through the small incision.
Sensations during the procedure
The most accurate way I can describe it is:
- No sharp pain at all
- A feeling of pressure and slight pushing on the eye
- Bright lights and some mechanical sounds from the laser
- A bit of anxiety simply because I knew my eyes were being worked on

Each eye took only a few minutes. The staff spoke calmly and told me what was happening at each step, which helped a lot.
Immediately after surgery
Right after sitting up, my vision was already different. It was hazy and foggy, but I could see shapes and read large letters across the room that I could never see without glasses before.
My eyes were very sensitive to light, and they watered a lot. The clinic gave me dark protective glasses and instructions for the rest of the day. I rested for about 30 minutes in a recovery area while they checked my eyes once more before I left.
First 24 hours of recovery
The first day is all about rest. My instructions were:
- Do not rub my eyes
- Wear protective shields while sleeping
- Use prescribed eye drops on schedule
- Avoid screens and bright light as much as possible
The eye drops I was given included:
- Antibiotic drops to prevent infection
- Anti‑inflammatory drops to reduce swelling
- Artificial tears to keep the eyes lubricated
For me, the main symptoms in the first 24 hours were:
- Mild discomfort, like something was in my eye
- Watery eyes and light sensitivity
- Blurry and fluctuating vision
I mostly kept my eyes closed and listened to podcasts. By the next morning, I could already see much more clearly.
First week after Smile LASIK
The first follow‑up visit was the day after surgery. They checked my vision, eye pressure, and the healing of the small incisions. My vision was already good enough to walk around and see signs, but not yet perfectly sharp.

During the first week:
My functional vision returned quickly. I could go outside, use my phone, and work on a computer in short sessions.
I still had some dryness, especially in air‑conditioned rooms.
Lights at night had a slight halo effect, but it was not severe.
I was told to:
- Avoid rubbing my eyes
- Avoid eye makeup for at least one to two weeks
- Avoid swimming pools, hot tubs, and saunas for several weeks
- Avoid heavy exercise and contact sports for a while
I also wore sunglasses outdoors to protect my eyes from bright sunlight and dust.
One‑month and three‑month follow‑ups
At the one‑month check‑up, my vision had stabilized significantly. My uncorrected vision tested around 20/20 in both eyes. I still used artificial tears several times a day, but the dryness was milder and less frequent.
By the three‑month follow‑up:
My vision felt natural and stable.
Night halos and glare had reduced noticeably, though very slight halos around bright lights at night were still there if I looked for them.
Dryness was mostly limited to times when I stared at a screen too long, and artificial tears helped.
Overall, my eyes felt like they had finally settled into their new normal.
Final results and overall satisfaction
Today, my vision is 20/20 in both eyes without glasses or contact lenses. The biggest change is in my daily routine:
I can wake up and see the clock clearly.
I can travel without worrying about packing extra lenses and solution.
Sports, swimming, and going to the gym are much easier.

Compared with my expectations, several things were better than I imagined:
The procedure itself was faster and more comfortable than I feared.
I could function normally within a couple of days.
I did not experience severe pain, only mild discomfort.
The challenging parts were:
Managing dryness for the first few weeks and remembering to use eye drops regularly.
Being patient while vision fluctuated slightly in the early days.
Adjusting to minor night halos at the beginning.
Honest side effects
For transparency, here are the side effects I experienced and how long they lasted:
Dryness: noticeable for the first one to two months, then gradually improved. I still use artificial tears on long screen days.
Night halos and glare: mild for the first few weeks, then faded. Now they are only slightly noticeable around very bright lights.
Light sensitivity: stronger in the first few days, then normalized.
For me, these were manageable and worth the trade‑off for clear vision without lenses.
Who may consider Smile LASIK
Based on my experience and what my surgeon explained, Smile LASIK may be considered by people who:
- Have stable nearsightedness and possibly some astigmatism
- Have enough corneal thickness for the procedure
- Prefer a minimally invasive option with a small incision
- Are worried about flap‑related issues with traditional LASIK

However, Smile LASIK may not be ideal for:
- People with very thin or irregular corneas
- Those with certain eye diseases or severe dry eye
- People whose prescription is still changing
Only a full examination can determine if you are a suitable candidate, so an in‑person assessment is essential.
Online consultation and pre‑visit preparation
As an overseas patient, I found it very helpful to start with an online or email consultation before flying to Korea. Here is what I prepared in advance:
- Recent glasses or contact lens prescription
- Any previous eye exam results, if available
- A list of medications and eye drops I was using
- Information about my contact lens use (how many years, how many hours per day)
During the online consultation, I asked about:
- Estimated price range and what is included
- How many visits are needed and over what time period
- Whether they could schedule the exam, surgery, and follow‑ups within my travel dates
- What to do if I had issues after returning home
Expected Korea visit timeline
Your exact schedule may vary, but a common timeline for overseas patients looks like this:
Day 1: Arrival in Korea, rest, adjust to the time zone.
Day 2: Full pre‑operative exam and consultation. If suitable, confirm surgery date and payment.
Day 3: Smile LASIK surgery, rest at accommodation afterward.
Day 4: First post‑operative check‑up. Many people can walk around and do light sightseeing.
Days 5–7: Additional follow‑up if needed, mostly normal daily activities with some precautions.
If possible, staying at least one week in Korea after surgery is ideal, so you can attend early follow‑ups and address any concerns in person.

Aftercare and long‑term care
After returning home, I continued to:
- Use artificial tears when needed
- Avoid rubbing my eyes
- Attend regular eye exams once or twice a year
If you live far from Korea, it is a good idea to arrange a follow‑up with a local eye doctor a few months after surgery to double‑check that everything is stable.
Frequently asked questions
Does Smile LASIK hurt
In my case, no. The anesthetic drops worked very well. I felt pressure and some strange sensations, but no sharp pain during the procedure.
How soon can I fly after Smile LASIK
Many patients are able to fly a few days after surgery, but you should confirm this with your surgeon. Using artificial tears on the plane is important because cabin air is very dry.
When can I use a computer again
I used my phone briefly the day after surgery and my laptop for short periods within a couple of days. I took frequent breaks and used plenty of artificial tears. Your clinic will give specific guidelines.
Can I wear eye makeup after Smile LASIK
I was advised to avoid eye makeup for at least one to two weeks to reduce the risk of infection. Face makeup away from the eyes was allowed sooner, with gentle cleansing.
Will I still need glasses later in life
Smile LASIK corrects your current refractive error, but it does not stop natural aging. Like most people, I may still need reading glasses later in life when presbyopia develops.
Tips for choosing a clinic in South Korea
From my experience, here are some practical tips:
Look for clear communication in English or your language.
Ask how many Smile LASIK procedures they perform and how long they have used their current laser technology.
Check what is included in the price: exams, surgery, medications, and follow‑ups.
Confirm how they handle urgent questions after you return home.
Read independent reviews, not only the clinic website.

Practical tips for surgery day and early recovery
Arrange transportation so you do not have to drive yourself after surgery.
Bring sunglasses for the trip back to your hotel or accommodation.
Prepare your eye drops in advance and set reminders on your phone.
Plan to take at least a few days off work, especially if your job involves heavy screen use.
Keep your accommodation clean and avoid dusty environments.
Soft call to action
If you are considering Smile LASIK in South Korea, an online consultation is a good first step. Share your prescription, ask detailed questions about the exam, surgery, costs, and follow‑up plan, and see how comfortable you feel with the clinic’s communication.
Every eye is different, and no procedure is completely risk‑free, but with careful research and realistic expectations, Smile LASIK in Korea can be a safe and life‑changing option. Use your consultation to decide whether it matches your eyes, your lifestyle, and your travel plans, and take your time before making the final decision.



댓글
댓글 쓰기