My Honest Gangnam Smart LASIK Review as an International Patient




Direct answer summary
If you are wondering whether Gangnam Smart LASIK is worth traveling to Korea for, my honest answer is yes, with some important conditions. For me, Smart LASIK in Gangnam gave me clear vision (around 20/20), a fast procedure, and a smoother recovery than I expected. However, it was not completely pain free, the clinics can be busy, and you must be ready to follow aftercare instructions carefully.
If you are comfortable with the cost, can stay in Seoul at least one to two weeks, and choose a reputable clinic after proper research, Gangnam Smart LASIK can be a very good option for long-term vision correction.
Why I started looking into Smart LASIK in Gangnam
I had worn glasses since I was a teenager and later switched to contact lenses for work and sports. Over time, my eyes became dry and irritated from daily lens use. Long flights, air conditioning, and screen time made it worse. I reached a point where I was always carrying eye drops, spare lenses, and glasses everywhere.
I had heard of LASIK for years, but I was nervous about eye surgery. What changed my mind was seeing friends and colleagues who had laser vision correction in Seoul, especially in the Gangnam area. Their results looked great, and they talked about how advanced the technology was there.
When I started searching online, I kept seeing the term Gangnam Smart LASIK. The more I read about it, the more it seemed like a newer, more customized version of traditional LASIK, with detailed corneal mapping and advanced laser control designed to reduce discomfort and speed up recovery. That combination of technology and high case volume in Gangnam convinced me to seriously consider it.

Why I chose Smart LASIK over LASIK or LASEK
During my research, I compared three main options: traditional LASIK, LASEK (or PRK-style surface procedures), and Smart LASIK.
Traditional LASIK
This is the classic procedure most people know. A flap is created on the cornea, then a laser reshapes the underlying tissue. Recovery is usually quick, but some older methods use a mechanical blade to create the flap.
LASEK or PRK
These procedures do not create a corneal flap. Instead, the surface layer is removed and the laser reshapes the cornea. They can be safer for certain thin or irregular corneas, but recovery tends to be slower and more uncomfortable, with more pain in the first days.
Smart LASIK
The clinics in Gangnam described Smart LASIK as an advanced form of LASIK using detailed corneal mapping and a more precise laser system for flap creation and corneal reshaping. The goal is to customize treatment to the individual eye, improve accuracy, and reduce side effects such as night glare and halos.
My reasons for choosing Smart LASIK were:
- Customization: The idea of a treatment plan based on my exact corneal shape and pupil size felt more reassuring than a one-size-fits-all approach.
- Faster recovery: I needed to return to work and travel relatively soon after surgery, so the quicker visual recovery compared with LASEK was important.
- Lower discomfort: Most reviews of Gangnam Smart LASIK mentioned only mild, short-term discomfort rather than strong pain.
- Technology: Many Gangnam clinics promote their use of modern diagnostic and laser equipment, which made me feel more confident.
Why I chose a clinic in Gangnam
Gangnam in Seoul is known as a major medical and beauty district, with many eye clinics focusing on vision correction. I chose Gangnam for several reasons:
High case volume
The clinics I researched performed a large number of Smart LASIK procedures every year. For me, higher volume suggested more experience in handling different eye types and managing complications if they arise.
Advanced equipment
Most Gangnam centers I looked at highlighted their diagnostic machines, corneal topography, wavefront analysis, and modern laser platforms. I wanted a clinic that invested in up-to-date technology rather than older systems.
Reputation and reviews
I spent a lot of time reading English-language reviews and watching video testimonials from international patients. I looked for consistent comments about clear explanations, organized systems, and good follow-up care.

Convenient location
Gangnam is easy to reach by subway or taxi, and there are many hotels, guesthouses, and restaurants nearby. Since I planned to stay in Seoul for at least a week after surgery, being in a convenient area was important.
My online research and pre-visit preparation
Before I booked anything, I did several weeks of online research.
Comparing Gangnam eye clinics
I searched for Gangnam Smart LASIK review in English and compared:
- Clinic websites and English pages
- Before-and-after stories
- Doctor profiles and years of experience
- Types of laser machines and diagnostic equipment
- Price ranges and package details
I shortlisted three clinics in Gangnam that seemed to have a lot of experience with Smart LASIK and had clear information for international patients.
Online consultation
Most clinics offered some form of online consultation via email, chat, or messaging apps. I sent my basic information:
- Age and prescription for both eyes
- History of contact lens use
- Any eye problems (dry eyes, allergies)
- General health conditions and medications
They replied with estimated eligibility and a rough cost range, but all emphasized that final suitability could only be decided after in-person tests.
Questions I asked before booking
I recommend asking these questions during your online consultation:

- Which exact Smart LASIK system or laser platform do you use
- What pre-surgery tests are included in the package
- How many Smart LASIK procedures does your clinic perform per year
- How many follow-up visits are included
- What is the total cost, and what is not included (medications, extra tests)
- How long should I stay in Korea after surgery
Based on the answers and communication style, I chose the clinic that was the most clear and patient with my questions.
Expected Korea visit timeline My overall timeline in Korea looked like this:
Day 1–2: Arrival in Seoul, rest, and adjusting to local time.
Day 2 or 3: Full eye examination and consultation in Gangnam.
Day 4: Smart LASIK surgery day.
Day 5: First-day post-op check.
Day 7: One-week follow-up check.
Day 8–10: Extra rest days and sightseeing with caution.
Day 10–12: Return flight home.
Some people have surgery on the same day as the first exam, but I preferred at least one day to think and prepare.
Detailed pre-surgery examination and consultation
The pre-surgery visit was longer than I expected, but very thorough.
Registration and basic checks
When I arrived at the clinic, the staff helped me fill out forms about my medical history, allergies, medications, and previous eye issues. They checked my current glasses prescription and measured my vision.
Eye examinations The tests included:
Corneal thickness measurement: This is important because the laser removes some corneal tissue. If your cornea is too thin, Smart LASIK may not be safe.
Corneal topography: A detailed map of the cornea to detect irregularities or early signs of keratoconus.
Pupil size measurement: Especially important for night vision and planning the treatment zone.
Tear film and dry eye check: To see if my eyes were too dry and whether I needed treatment before or after surgery.
Intraocular pressure: To screen for glaucoma risk.
Dilated eye exam: The doctor checked the back of my eyes and overall eye health.
Explanation of eligibility and risks
After the tests, I met the surgeon. They reviewed my results and explained that I was a suitable candidate for Smart LASIK based on my corneal thickness, stable prescription, and overall eye health.
They also clearly explained:
Possible side effects: Dry eyes, halos, glare at night, temporary blurred or fluctuating vision.
Risks: Infection, inflammation, undercorrection or overcorrection, rare complications affecting vision.
Expected results: High chance of reaching around 20/20 vision, but no absolute guarantee of perfect vision.

Smart LASIK vs older techniques
The surgeon described how Smart LASIK at their clinic used detailed corneal mapping and a laser-guided flap creation system instead of a mechanical blade. They explained that this allowed more precise control of flap thickness and treatment pattern, aiming for smoother vision and fewer higher-order aberrations.
Cost range and packages in Gangnam
Prices can vary between clinics, but when I checked, the approximate range for Smart LASIK in Gangnam was:
Smart LASIK for both eyes: roughly mid to upper four-figure USD equivalent, depending on the exact technology and package.
My package included:
- Pre-surgery tests
- Smart LASIK for both eyes
- Post-op medications for the first weeks (antibiotic and steroid eye drops, artificial tears)
- Protective eye shields for sleeping
- Follow-up visits during the first month
Some clinics also offer discounts for certain days, seasonal promotions, or if you come with a friend or family member. It is worth asking about this during your online consultation.
Smart LASIK surgery day: step by step
The surgery day was surprisingly fast, but I was still nervous.
Arrival and final checks
I arrived about one hour before the scheduled time. The staff repeated some key tests, confirmed my identity, and reviewed the consent forms. They checked my vision again and asked about any last-minute health changes.
Consent and preparation
I signed the consent forms, then changed into a gown and shoe covers. A nurse cleaned the area around my eyes and put in anesthetic eye drops. There were no injections; everything was done with drops.
In the operating room
The room was cool and bright, with the laser machine next to the bed. The team helped me lie down and positioned my head. They reminded me to relax and focus on the target light.

What I saw and felt
During the procedure, I did not feel pain, but I did feel pressure and some mild discomfort.
The steps felt like this:
A device held my eyelids open so I could not blink.
I was asked to look at a blinking or colored light.
I felt gentle pressure when the flap was created. My vision went dim or blurry for a short moment.
The laser made clicking sounds. I could smell a faint odor, which they said was normal.
The surgeon and staff kept talking to me, telling me how long each part would last.
The same process was repeated for the other eye. Overall, the actual laser time for each eye was less than a minute, and the total time in the operating room was around 15 to 20 minutes.
Immediately after surgery
When I sat up, my vision was cloudy, like looking through a foggy window. My eyes felt slightly stinging and watery, and I was very sensitive to light. The staff gave me dark protective glasses and guided me to a resting room.
After resting for about 30 to 40 minutes, the surgeon checked my eyes again to make sure the flaps were in good position. Then I was allowed to go back to my accommodation with a friend.
The first 24 hours of recovery
The first day was the most uncomfortable but still manageable.
At home or hotel
My eyes kept tearing and felt gritty, like sand in the eyes. I was told not to rub them under any circumstances. I used the prescribed eye drops exactly as instructed: antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and artificial tears.
Sleeping with shields
I had to wear plastic eye shields taped over my eyes while sleeping for several nights to prevent accidental rubbing. It was a bit annoying but very important.

Vision on day one
My vision was already better than before without glasses, but still hazy and sensitive to light. I mostly kept my eyes closed or wore sunglasses indoors and avoided screens.
First follow-up visit in Gangnam
The next day, I went back to the clinic for a checkup. They examined my eyes under a microscope, checked the flap position, and measured my early vision. They confirmed that everything looked normal.
The first week after Smart LASIK
Over the first week, my vision improved day by day.
Vision changes
By day three to four, I could walk around comfortably, read signs, and use my phone for short periods. Distance vision was already impressive, but near vision and night vision were still adjusting.
Temporary side effects I experienced:
Dry eyes: My eyes felt dry and slightly scratchy, especially in air-conditioned places. Artificial tears were essential.
Halos and glare at night: Lights had a soft halo around them for the first couple of weeks.
Fluctuating vision: Some days were clearer than others, and my eyes tired more easily.
All of these gradually improved over time.
Activity restrictions The clinic advised me to:
Avoid rubbing my eyes.
Avoid eye makeup for at least one to two weeks.
Avoid swimming pools and hot tubs for several weeks.
Avoid intense exercise and sweating in the first week.
Wear sunglasses outdoors to protect from UV and wind.
Follow-up care in Gangnam
I had another follow-up visit around one week after surgery. The clinic checked my vision, tear film, and corneal healing. They adjusted my eye drop schedule and reminded me to continue artificial tears regularly.
If you are an international patient, ask your clinic for a written summary of your surgery details and post-op instructions in English so you can share them with your local eye doctor at home.

Results after one month and beyond
By the end of the first month, my vision had stabilized significantly.
Vision quality
My distance vision tested around 20/20. I could work on my laptop, use my phone, and go out at night with much less halo and glare than in the first weeks. Dryness was still present but milder and manageable with drops.
Lifestyle improvements The biggest changes were in daily life:
No more searching for glasses in the morning.
No more contact lens routine during travel.
Easier to exercise, go to the gym, and play sports.
More comfortable on long flights and in dry environments.
Realistically, my eyes still needed time to fully settle, but overall, the improvement in quality of life was very noticeable.
Pros and cons of Gangnam Smart LASIK
From my experience, here is a balanced view.
Advantages
Advanced technology: Many Gangnam clinics use modern diagnostic equipment and laser platforms.
Experienced teams: High patient volume means the staff are efficient and familiar with different eye types.
Organized systems: The process from consultation to follow-up felt streamlined.
Comfortable facilities: Waiting areas and exam rooms were modern and clean.
Convenient location: Easy access by public transport, with many hotels and restaurants nearby.
Potential downsides
Cost: While often cheaper than some Western countries, Smart LASIK in Gangnam is still a significant expense.
Crowded clinics: Popular centers can be busy, with many patients in the waiting area.
Anxiety: Eye surgery is mentally stressful, even if the procedure is quick.
Strict aftercare: You must be disciplined about drops, follow-ups, and activity restrictions.
Who may consider Smart LASIK in Gangnam
You might consider Gangnam Smart LASIK if:
You are tired of glasses or contact lenses and want long-term vision correction.
Your prescription has been stable for at least one to two years.
You have generally healthy eyes and no major corneal disease.
You can afford the procedure and travel costs.
You can stay in Seoul for at least one to two weeks for surgery and follow-up.

It may not be suitable if you have very thin corneas, severe dry eye, unstable prescription, or certain eye diseases. Only a full examination can confirm your eligibility.
Practical tips for overseas patients
Here are some lessons I learned that may help you if you are planning Gangnam Smart LASIK.
Choosing a clinic
Read multiple Gangnam Smart LASIK reviews from different sources.
Check how clearly the clinic explains procedures and risks in English.
Compare technology, not just price.
Ask how many follow-up visits are included and how they support overseas patients after you return home.
What to prepare before surgery
Stop wearing soft contact lenses for at least a week (or as advised) before your eye exam.
Arrange accommodation near Gangnam, ideally within a short taxi or subway ride.
Bring sunglasses, a hat, and artificial tears for after surgery.
Plan to avoid heavy sightseeing or late-night activities for the first few days after surgery.
Questions to ask your surgeon
- Am I a better candidate for Smart LASIK, LASEK, or another procedure, and why
- What side effects are most common in your patients
- What is your enhancement or retreatment policy if my vision is undercorrected
- How long should I avoid flying, swimming, or heavy exercise
Aftercare and long-term expectations
Expect some dryness and mild visual fluctuations in the first months.
Continue using artificial tears as recommended.
Have regular eye checkups at home once you return.
Understand that while many people achieve 20/20 or better, results can vary.
FAQ about Gangnam Smart LASIK for international patients
Is Smart LASIK painful
During the procedure, I felt pressure but not real pain because of the anesthetic drops. Afterward, there was mild stinging and tearing for several hours, but it was manageable.
How long do I need to stay in Korea
Ideally at least one week after surgery for follow-up checks. Some clinics may suggest longer if possible.
Can I travel alone
It is possible, but I recommend having a friend with you on surgery day and the first night. At minimum, arrange safe transport back to your accommodation.

Will I still need glasses
Many people do not need glasses for distance after Smart LASIK, but some may still need mild correction, especially for very high prescriptions or with age-related near vision changes later in life.
Is Gangnam Smart LASIK safe
Smart LASIK is a commonly performed procedure worldwide. In Gangnam, the combination of experience and modern equipment can be reassuring, but it still carries risks like any surgery. Choosing a reputable clinic and following instructions carefully are key.
Soft call to action
If you are seriously considering vision correction, I recommend starting with an online consultation with a few Gangnam clinics that offer Smart LASIK. Share your prescription, eye history, and travel plans, and compare their responses.
Reading real Gangnam Smart LASIK reviews helped me feel more confident about my decision. I hope my experience gives you a clearer idea of what to expect so you can decide whether this step is right for you. If you prepare well, ask the right questions, and choose your clinic carefully, having Smart LASIK in Gangnam can be a very practical and life-changing option for international patients.



댓글
댓글 쓰기