My SMILE LASIK Review at GS Eye Clinic in Gangnam-gu, Seoul




Direct answer summary
I had SMILE LASIK vision correction at GS Eye Clinic in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, and I am very happy with the result. My distance vision is now clear without glasses or contact lenses, my night vision is comfortable, and my recovery was smoother than I expected. The clinic felt professional and organized from the first online contact to the final follow-up visit. If you are an overseas patient considering SMILE LASIK in Gangnam-gu, my experience at GS Eye Clinic was positive in terms of medical care, communication, and overall support.
Why I chose SMILE LASIK instead of LASIK or LASEK
I had worn glasses and contact lenses for more than 10 years. I was interested in laser vision correction but worried about pain, long recovery, and possible complications. When I started researching, I focused on three main procedures: LASIK, LASEK, and SMILE LASIK.
LASIK appealed to me because of the fast recovery, but I was nervous about the corneal flap. I read that LASIK involves creating a flap on the cornea, lifting it, reshaping the cornea with a laser, and then putting the flap back. Many people do very well with LASIK, but I was concerned about flap-related issues and my active lifestyle.
LASEK, on the other hand, does not create a flap, but it usually has more discomfort and a longer recovery period. I travel frequently for work and could not afford several weeks of blurry vision or strong pain.

SMILE LASIK felt like a good middle ground for me. It is a flapless, minimally invasive procedure that uses a femtosecond laser to create a small lens-shaped piece of tissue inside the cornea, which is then removed through a tiny incision. The idea of preserving more corneal stability and having a smaller incision made sense to me. I also liked that many patients reported less dry eye compared to traditional LASIK.
After reading patient stories and medical explanations, I decided that if my eyes were suitable, I would choose SMILE LASIK over LASIK or LASEK.
Why I chose Gangnam-gu and GS Eye Clinic
Gangnam-gu in Seoul is known for having many specialized medical centers, including eye clinics with advanced equipment. As an international patient, I wanted a location that was easy to reach, with good public transportation, hotels, and restaurants nearby. Gangnam-gu checked all of those boxes.
I narrowed my search to clinics that offered SMILE LASIK, had experienced ophthalmologists, and used modern diagnostic machines. GS Eye Clinic in Gangnam-gu stood out because of the detailed information on their website, the clear explanation of different procedures, and the emphasis on thorough eye examinations.
I sent an online inquiry with my prescription and questions. The reply was prompt and polite. The staff explained the basic process, approximate price range, and how many days I should plan to stay in Korea. Their communication was straightforward and not pushy, which helped me trust them.
What made GS Eye Clinic feel trustworthy
Several points helped me feel comfortable choosing GS Eye Clinic:
1. Experience and focus on eye care: The clinic clearly focused on ophthalmology and vision correction procedures, including SMILE LASIK. Their explanations of risks and benefits felt realistic, not overly optimistic.
2. Modern diagnostic equipment: From their materials and later my visit, it was obvious they used up-to-date machines for measuring corneal thickness, mapping the cornea, checking tear film, and evaluating the retina. This was important to me because I wanted a careful screening, not a rushed approval.
3. Thorough preoperative examination: They emphasized that not everyone is suitable for SMILE LASIK and that they would check my corneal thickness, eye health, and stability of my prescription before deciding. This made me feel they prioritized safety.

4. Clear communication: Before I even arrived in Seoul, they answered my questions about dry eye, glare, and recovery time in simple, understandable language. I never felt that my concerns were dismissed.
5. Transparent pricing: They provided a clear price range for SMILE LASIK, what was included, and possible extra costs. There were no surprise fees later.
Preoperative consultation and eye examination
I scheduled my first in-person visit for the day after I arrived in Seoul. The clinic was easy to find in Gangnam-gu, close to public transport. The atmosphere inside was clean, calm, and organized.
Registration was straightforward. The staff spoke enough English to guide me through the forms, and when needed, they used simple words and visual explanations. I appreciated their patience.
The eye examination was much more detailed than a regular glasses check. It included:
- Measuring my current prescription
- Checking corneal thickness
- Corneal topography to map the shape of my cornea
- Tear film and dry eye evaluation
- Intraocular pressure measurement
- Retina and overall eye health check
Some tests used bright lights and required me to focus on specific points, but nothing was painful. The staff explained each step in advance, so I knew what to expect.

After all the tests, I met the ophthalmologist for a consultation. We reviewed the results together. My corneal thickness was within a safe range, my prescription had been stable for several years, and there were no major eye health issues. Based on this, I was considered a suitable candidate for SMILE LASIK.
Discussion of risks, benefits, and expectations
The ophthalmologist explained the differences between LASIK, LASEK, and SMILE LASIK again, this time using my own data. For my eyes and lifestyle, SMILE LASIK was recommended, but they also made it clear that no procedure is risk-free.
We discussed possible side effects:
- Temporary dry eye, especially in the first few weeks
- Glare or halos around lights at night
- Mild fluctuation in vision during the early healing period
They also explained that serious complications are rare but possible, and that careful screening and following post-op instructions help reduce risks. I appreciated the balanced tone: confident but not promising perfection.
They gave me a realistic recovery timeline:
- Functional vision usually returns within 24 hours
- Most people feel comfortable with daily tasks in a few days
- Vision continues to stabilize over several weeks to months
Pricing and scheduling were also discussed clearly. The cost covered the surgery, medications, and standard follow-up visits. I decided to go ahead and booked the surgery for two days later, giving my eyes a short rest from contact lenses.
Online consultation and pre-visit preparation for overseas patients
For international patients, I recommend starting with an online consultation. I sent my glasses prescription and contact lens history, and they advised me to stop wearing soft contact lenses at least a few days before the full examination, and longer if possible.
Before flying to Korea, it helped to:
- Prepare a summary of my eye history and any previous eye treatments
- List all medications and supplements I was taking
- Plan at least one week in Seoul to allow for surgery and early follow-ups
- Book accommodation near Gangnam-gu to minimize travel after surgery

The clinic also advised me not to wear eye makeup on the day of the examination and on the surgery day. Bringing sunglasses was useful for light sensitivity after the procedure.
Surgery day experience at GS Eye Clinic
On the day of surgery, I arrived a little early. The staff reviewed my consent forms again and answered last-minute questions. They checked my eyes once more to confirm there were no changes.
Preparation steps included:
- Cleaning the area around my eyes
- Putting in anesthetic eye drops to numb the surface of the eye
- Explaining the sequence of the procedure and how long it would take
I was guided into the laser room, which looked very modern with large machines and monitors. The team spoke to me calmly and told me what would happen next.
During the SMILE LASIK procedure
The procedure itself was surprisingly quick. I lay down on the bed under the laser. They positioned my head and used a small device to keep my eyelids open. This felt a bit strange but not painful.
The anesthetic drops worked well, so I did not feel sharp pain. I felt some pressure when the laser docked onto my eye, but it was tolerable. I was asked to look at a light and keep my eyes as steady as possible. The laser part for each eye took only a short time.
I did not see anything scary; mostly just a blurry light and some shadows. The doctor and staff kept talking to me, telling me how many seconds were left and reminding me that everything was going well. This constant guidance was very reassuring.
Because SMILE LASIK is flapless, there was no sensation of a flap being lifted. After the laser created the small lens-shaped tissue inside the cornea, the doctor gently removed it through a tiny incision. I only felt mild pressure, not pain.

The whole procedure for both eyes was finished in what felt like less than 30 minutes, including preparation time.
Immediately after surgery
Right after the surgery, my vision was already different. It was foggy and hazy, but I could tell that my prescription had been reduced. There was no sharp pain, just a feeling like something was in my eyes and some mild burning.
The staff checked my eyes under a microscope to make sure everything looked correct. Then they explained the post-operative instructions again:
- Use antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops as prescribed
- Use lubricating drops regularly to prevent dryness
- Avoid rubbing my eyes
- Wear protective shields at night for the first few days
- Avoid swimming, heavy exercise, and dusty environments for a while
They gave me written instructions in English, which was very helpful.
Recovery timeline: first 24 hours, first week, first month
First 24 hours:
On the way back to my accommodation, my eyes were sensitive to light, so I was glad I brought sunglasses. I mostly kept my eyes closed and rested. There was a foreign body sensation and some tearing, but it was manageable.
By the evening, the discomfort had decreased. When I opened my eyes, my vision was still a bit blurry but already much better than without glasses before. I was able to see my phone screen and move around my room safely.

First week:
The next morning, I went back to GS Eye Clinic for a check-up. The ophthalmologist checked my cornea and confirmed that the healing process looked normal. My vision was already good enough for daily activities, though slightly hazy at times.
During the first week, I experienced:
- Mild dryness, especially in air-conditioned places
- Slight fluctuation in clarity during the day
- Some halos around bright lights at night
Using lubricating eye drops regularly made a big difference. I avoided eye makeup, heavy exercise, and dusty environments as instructed. I could walk around Gangnam-gu, go to cafes, and use my laptop without major issues.
First month:
Over the first month, my vision continued to sharpen. The halos around lights gradually became less noticeable. Dryness improved but did not disappear completely until later; I simply kept using artificial tears when needed.
By the end of the first month, my distance vision was clear and stable. I could work on my computer, watch movies, and go out at night without feeling limited by my eyes.
Follow-up care at GS Eye Clinic
GS Eye Clinic scheduled several follow-up visits: the day after surgery, a few days later, and then again around one month. At each visit, they checked my visual acuity, corneal condition, and tear film.
The ophthalmologist adjusted my eye drop schedule based on how my eyes were healing. When I mentioned slight dryness in the evenings, they recommended more frequent lubricating drops and some lifestyle tips, such as taking breaks from screens and avoiding direct air from fans.
I felt that my questions were always taken seriously. They never rushed the appointments and encouraged me to contact them if I noticed anything unusual. This ongoing support made me feel safe, especially as an overseas patient far from home.

Overall outcome and impact on daily life
Several months after SMILE LASIK at GS Eye Clinic, I can say that the procedure has had a very positive impact on my life.
My distance vision is clear without glasses or contact lenses. I can travel, exercise, and work without worrying about dry contact lenses or broken frames. Night vision is comfortable; I still notice very mild halos around some lights, but they are not bothersome and much less than in the early weeks.
Dryness is minimal now. I still carry lubricating drops when I travel by plane or work long hours on a computer, but my eyes feel normal most of the time.
Emotionally, it is a relief to wake up and see the clock clearly. The convenience in daily life, from swimming to spontaneous activities, is bigger than I expected.
Who may consider SMILE LASIK in Gangnam-gu
SMILE LASIK may be worth considering if you:
- Have stable nearsightedness and possibly astigmatism
- Want a flapless, minimally invasive procedure
- Prefer a relatively quick recovery with less discomfort than surface procedures
- Are willing to follow post-operative instructions carefully
However, only a full eye examination can determine if you are a suitable candidate. Corneal thickness, eye health, prescription level, and lifestyle all matter. Some people may be better suited to LASIK, LASEK, or other options.
Expected Korea visit timeline for overseas patients
For international patients planning SMILE LASIK in Gangnam-gu, a simple schedule might look like this:

Day 1: Arrival in Seoul, rest from travel.
Day 2: Full eye examination and consultation at GS Eye Clinic. If suitable, schedule surgery.
Day 3 or 4: SMILE LASIK surgery.
Day 4 or 5: First post-operative check (usually the next day after surgery).
Days 5–7: Additional follow-up visit if needed, sightseeing with some care, rest.
Day 8 or later: Return home, with instructions for any further checks in your home country if necessary.
If possible, staying at least one week in Seoul gives you time for the main follow-ups and some flexibility in case your schedule needs adjustment.
Aftercare tips for international patients
Based on my experience, these points helped my recovery:
- Strictly follow the eye drop schedule and hygiene instructions
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, even if they feel itchy or dry
- Wear sunglasses outdoors to reduce light sensitivity and protect your eyes
- Limit heavy exercise, swimming, and sauna for the period recommended by the clinic
- Use artificial tears regularly, especially in dry environments or on flights
- Keep all scheduled follow-up appointments before you leave Korea
Frequently asked questions
Is SMILE LASIK painful?
I did not feel sharp pain during the procedure, thanks to the anesthetic eye drops. I felt pressure and some mild discomfort, but it was tolerable. After surgery, it felt like there was something in my eye for a few hours, but this improved quickly.
How quickly can you see after SMILE LASIK?
My vision was already functional the next day. It was not perfect immediately, but good enough for walking around and using my phone. Over the first week, clarity improved a lot, and it continued to refine over the first month.
Will I have dry eyes forever?
I had noticeable dryness in the first weeks, which gradually improved. Now it is mild and only appears in specific situations, like long flights or extended screen time. Every person is different, but for me, it did not become a permanent serious problem.
Is it safe to travel back home soon after surgery?
I waited several days and had at least one follow-up check before flying. The clinic confirmed that my eyes were healing well. On the plane, I used lubricating drops more frequently and avoided sleeping with my face against anything that could press on my eyes.
How do I choose a clinic in Gangnam-gu?
From my experience, important points include:
- Experienced eye surgeons who perform SMILE LASIK regularly
- Advanced diagnostic equipment and thorough preoperative examinations
- Clear explanations of risks, benefits, and alternatives
- Transparent pricing without hidden fees
- Good communication and responsive staff

GS Eye Clinic in Gangnam-gu matched these criteria for me and provided a positive experience.
Soft call to action
If you are thinking about SMILE LASIK in Gangnam-gu, I recommend starting with an online consultation. Share your current prescription, eye history, and travel plans. Ask detailed questions about eligibility, recovery time, and follow-up care.
My SMILE LASIK journey at GS Eye Clinic in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, turned out to be a worthwhile decision that improved my daily life. Taking the time to choose a clinic with experienced eye surgeons, modern equipment, and careful preoperative screening made me feel safe and supported throughout the process.



댓글
댓글 쓰기